A Cinderella 4 Years Later: George Mason University
Since becoming America’s March Madness darling for their epic underdog run during the NCAA Basketball Tournament, George Mason has reaped in the benefits as an institution of higher education.
Since the 2006 NCAA tournament:
• Admissions inquiries increased 350 percent.
• Out-of-state applications increased 40 percent and out-of-state students now make up 25 percent of the freshman class.
• Total freshman applications increased 22 percent from the 2005-06 academic year.
• Active alumni increased 25 percent, while online registration rose 52 percent.
• GoMason.com (the official athletic department Web site) page views increased 503 percent, while unique viewers increased 702 percent in March 2006.
• Patriot Club fundraising increased 52 percent over the previous year, and has continued to climb.
• Men’s basketball games have consistently had CAA record-setting attendance for home games in 2007 and 2008, and season ticket sales doubled in one year.
• An estimated $677,474,659 in free media was earned by Mason during the 2006 NCAA Tournament through national, regional and local broadcast (including games), print and electronic media coverage.